11.10.2010 | By: Morgan

A Lofty View

"'It takes everyone of us to make His body complete, for we each have a different work to do. So we belong to each other, and each needs all the others' (Romans 12:4-5)
"I need the poor? For what? The question exposes my blindness. I see them as weak ones to be rescured, not as bearers of the treasures of the Kingdom. The dominance of my giving overshadows and stifles the rich endowments the Creator has invested in those I consider destitute. I overlook what our Lord saw clearly when He proclaimed the poor to be especially blessed, because theirs is the Kingdom of God (Luke 6:20). I selectively ignore the truth that monied, empowered, and learned ones enter His kingdom with enormous difficulty. 
"The community into which Christ invites us is one of interdependence. We are called to mutual sharing and the discovery of gifts Christ has concealed in the unlikeliest among us. And to those who consider themselves leaders, our Lord offers humility - the salvation of the proud that comes from learning to receive form the least, who are the greatest in the Kingdom." - Robert D. Lupton

In being a social worker I think it's so important to not have a lofty view of myself. I feel like my clients will see right through that and I'll have lost them before we even start. In terms of Christianity, I feel like we become so puffed up on ourselves because of all our lists of accomplishments. I think of it as a "savior-complex." We feel that others need us. That we should always give our 2 cents, even when it's not asked for, because we know the solution and everyone else is blind to it. I am so guilty of this and it's ended badly each time.

Interdependence.

As social workers, our goal is to empower. And while it's important for us to maintain a position of professional authority and not forget our role, I want my clients to feel needed; Needed in the sense that they matter to me and it would be a great disservice if they weren't in my office anymore.

One of my favorite things about working with kids is the things they say. They come up with the CRAzIEST things and I love every minute of it. To some it may seem stupid and they even tell them to shut up, but I encourage it. I can't think right now what I can gain from the poor, but I'm going to pray about it and keep in the back of my mind. That'll be for another blog I guess :)

Morgan }|{ "Look at Jesus only."

0 comments:

Post a Comment